Sunday, February 24, 2013

She Finds Comfort In The Darkest Places


In the showers is where I let myself go bare
Both physically, and emotionally

It's where I allow the hot water turn my skin bright red
And watch my skin crying in alarm - tormented and satisfied
It's exactly what I felt like doing but can't do
Because only children can wail and whine and not feel pathetic

It's where I wash the people I intend to forget right out of my hair
And scrub off the disgust I sometimes have for myself
Rapidly, and then softly
Because sanity has its fair way of reaching my senses in time

It's where I stand above the dark wooden floors -
And sometimes find myself cross-legged on
Because putting up a strong front eventually tires everyone
And it's nice to give it a rest, give pretentious tolerance a little rest

It's where I trace my fingers to make out words on the fogged glass door
A single word every time that expresses my feelings at the time
And gaze at the water that never fails to hit me hard
Looking like raindrops, and how I wish was a raindrop
Because raindrops are never alone 

It's where my hair gets voluntarily wet
And it reminded me of the time I was in the sea
Where he held me close and kept me safe
Where it was all good and reality was far behind

It's where I put the song of my day on repeat
And reminisce, and remember, and be reminded
It's where cruelty treats me nicely
Until I step out of the showers and go back to being me.